Tuesday, August 12

Kiwis

Miss These Things - The Bats
From Daddy's Highway (1987)

Between the Lord of the Rings movies (meh), Whale Rider (mmm), and Flight of the Conchords (yay) New Zeland has gone through a bit of a pop-cultural renaissance these last few years. But ho! I say. Pray allow me to direct your attention to The Bats, a band 25 (25!) years old from Christchurch, and the best thing since Dame Kiri.

This isn't the best song on their first album, but it's my favorite one. I've never heard a song's chorus sound simultaneously so humble and so epic. It really has no business being as good as it is - but hey, as a former co-worker of mine used to say, my hands are tied. This song will cool you off in the summer and warm you up in the winter.

P.S. - You know, I've always wondered where the "Old Zeland" was that prompted the New tag. Well, thanks to the almighty Wiki my question has been answered - it's Zeeland in the Netherlands. Not Zealand in Denmark however! Take note - there will be a quiz.

No comments: