Tuesday, August 26

Gravitate

Jitterakadie - Death Vessel
Exploded View - Death Vessel
Both from Nothing is Precious Enough for Us (2008)

I enjoy a great number and variety of folk songs, but I enjoy my folk music the absolute most served one of two ways: 1. Inordinately jubilant and clear as crystal, or 2. Totally fucking apocalyptic. Luckily, Death Vessel had the foresight to include one of each on their (excellent) new album that was released last week. The former song makes me smile; the latter makes me shiver.

This band is a happy new discovery for me. Their songs are thoughtful, well written, and terrifically arranged. Joel Thibodeau's alto-tenor vocals (yes, that's a dude singing) are mesmerizing - as unique as Joanna Newsom's voice, but with a more immediate beauty. I have a soft spot for pure voices - the cleaner, the better - and I've never heard a more spotless tone and delivery than what he provides here.

An interesting aside: This band now joins my roster of "Bands with awesome-yet-deceptive Death Metal band names." The list so far:

The Grateful Dead
King Crimson
Smog
Murder By Death
My Bloody Valentine
Styx
Meat Puppets
Primal Scream
Black Mountain
Destroyer
Dead Can Dance
War
Death Vessel

Any additions or revisions would be appreciated.

No comments: